Thursday, August 30, 2007

Gallagher's accuser files complaint vs. NYPD

Gallagher's accuser files complaint vs. NYPD

The woman allegedly raped by City Councilman Dennis Gallagher claimed yesterday that she was treated badly by police in the hours after the assault.

Police "belittled" her, told her she reeked of alcohol and locked her in an interrogation room for over half an hour after her traumatic encounter, she said.

"I felt like I was being raped twice," said the victim, a 52-year-old grandmother whose name is being withheld by the Daily News. "They were nasty to me."

But police officials denied the woman had been mistreated. Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said the Internal Affairs Bureau was looking into her allegations, but all records indicate she was properly interviewed after receiving medical treatment.

Yesterday the victim said she has filed a formal complaint with the NYPD. She also has protested to the Queens district attorney's office.

She said she was horrified when one detective told her "God, you reek of Scotch, you smell like a brewery."

"I didn't say anything back to him, but I thought to myself 'I just got raped by [Gallagher].'"

Gallagher, 43, a Republican from Middle Village, Queens, was indicted on 10 counts of rape, criminal sex acts and assault after allegedly attacking the woman July 8 in his district office on Metropolitan Ave.

The woman said it took weeks in therapy to give her the strength to come forward about her treatment by two cops assigned to the Queens special victims squad.

"They made me feel so little," she said. "They saw how I was beat up. They should be a little sympathetic, whether they believe you or not."

Once inside the squad's office, she was left alone in a locked room with a bench, a table and a metal bar with handcuffs attached, she said.

A video camera was on one wall, she said, and no one explained to her where she was or what she was doing there. According to police reports, the victim was taken in for "further questioning." But she said no one spoke to her or questioned her while she was kept there.

From there, she said, cops drove her home, then to the DA's office, where they waited as she was interviewed by prosecutors.

She said cops may have been trying to protect Gallagher and intimidate her.

"I have to stand up. It's not just me. What about the other people this happens to?" she said. "I was raped of my dignity from them - who should have been there to support me."

A police source said nothing supports her allegations that she was belittled or that any of the officers who interviewed her made any derogatory comments.

"She was treated with dignity, and now she is turning on the very officers who made her case," a source said.

agendar@nydailynews.com