Friday, April 18, 2008

Star Of Queens - Regina Santoro by Steven Ortiz - The Queens Courier

Read original...


Regina Santoro
Executive Secretary Community Board 9
Richmond Hill

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Regina Santoro has been a member of Community Board 9 for six years. The last two years she has served as Executive Secretary. Community Board 9 encompasses Kew Gardens, Richmond Hill, Woodhaven and Ozone Park. Santoro is also coordinates CYO Sports for Holy Child Jesus Parochial School in Richmond Hill. “I do community service because I live in the community, I have nine brothers and sisters and we all live in the community. Between all of us we have 23 young kids in the community so it’s very important to be involved. I love Richmond Hill. I am a fourth generation Richmond Hill resident and my children are fifth generation,” she said.

JOB: Santoro is an Associate Broker for Parkside Realty of Queens.

PERSONAL: Santoro is married to her husband for 17 years and has three daughters: Emily, 13; Claire, 10; and Lauren, 3; and two pet rabbits.


BIGGEST CHALLENGE: “One of the biggest challenges is to make Jamaica Avenue from 101st through 118th Street a viable shopping area. Supposedly, it’s the shopping district of Richmond Hill, but it needs serious, serious uplift, needs more anchor stores, beautification, trees, lower lighting, and more garbage disposal. It needs everything,” she said. “All we have are real estate offices, 99-cent shops, and churches.”

FAVORITE MEMORY: “My favorite memory is going to Forest Park as a kid and ice skating in the playground. We used to just skate and skate until dusk and then go home and warm up then. I loved that,” she said.

INSPIRATION: Santoro is inspired by her parents. “My parents have been married for 50 years. They still hold hands, go to church everyday, exercise in the park everyday. They go for walks and hiking through Forest Park. They enjoy their neighborhood and they enjoy their family. They are definitely my biggest inspiration,” she said.

PROUDEST MOMENT: “I have three proud moments. My children, bringing them into the world. Raising them. The whole thing. It’s a wonderful experience,” she said.

— Steven Ortiz