Saturday, September 15, 2007

Forum South - Letter to the Editor - Re: 23rd AD District Leader Race...

September 11, 2007

Dear Editor;

I am writing to share an experience I recently witnessed at a local civic association meeting.


On August 29, I attended Candidate's Night” at the Ozone Park Residents Block Association held at Nativity BVM church.


In past years I have gotten to meet, greet and question many of our local politicians at this event.


With this being an off-year politically with no major elections being held, only two candidates attended and participated. They were Jane Deacy and Eric Ulrich, the male and female candidates for Republican District 23 AD Leader.


Since District Leader is a local political position, I expected to hear their vision on how they would register new voters, man the polls during elections and how they planned to reinvigorate their party locally - amid an ever widening demographical shift, detrimental to the Republican party - in their district.


During their stump speeches, Ms. Deacy and Mr. Ulrich both spent the majority of their time lauding the Bush Administration, highlighting the great job that the national Republican party is doing and robotically voicing their unwavering support for President George W. Bush and his war in Iraq.


Mr. Ulrich also shared that he tries to model his life after his two role models, Ronald W. Reagan and Pope John Paul II.


I found their unceasing blind loyalty to President Bush and his failed policies to be delusional, quixotical and somewhat psychotic.


During the question and answer period, I was fortunate enough to be able to ask both candidates a few questions.


I confirmed that both candidates are completely and utterly committed to the present situation in Iraq and feel it's in our country's best interest.


I asked Mr. Ulrich his age, to which he responded with a glowing smile, “22.”


I then asked Mr. Ulrich that since he looked physically fit, why he hasn't enlisted to serve in Iraq, especially since it is evident that he is so fanatically supportive of President Bush's preemptive, illegal, immoral and criminal war.


I informed him that there was a military recruiting office in downtown Jamaica, I also offered to get an application for him.


Additionally, I informed him that our military recruiters have been hard-pressed to meet their quotas and that it would be a patriotic thing to do.


Mr. Ulrich responded in a Romney-esque manner, informing me that he was very happy that America has a volunteer military and that he didn't feel the need to volunteer to fight in this war right now.


For the record, Mitt Romney recently explained that his five military aged sons were serving their country by working on his presidential campaign, as if their service was commensurate with serving our nation in Iraq.


I think it would be accurate to say Mr. Ulrich felt that his services and talents could be put to better and safer use here in the neighborhood, rather than serving with our brave troops in Iraq. To his credit, this at least confirms Mr. Ulrich's sanity.


When I went home that evening, I got to thinking about Mr. Ulrich's response and attitude. I actually found it to be very consistent with the ethos exhibited by his party's present standard bearers, George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.


Remembering, that when it was their turn to serve their nation in the Viet-Nam war they chose to either through political connections to hide out in the Texas Air National Guard or sought numerous exemptions to the draft because they had “other priorities”.


Anyone who knows me, knows that I voiced my adamant opposition to this war prior to Mr. Bush committing troops in March 2003, including writing against the war in these very pages.


Being a registered Democrat, I have no horse in this local Republican race, but I felt it was important to bring this to the attention of the public.


I find it to be so illustrative of a wider prevailing attitude of the Republican party, particularly it's radical right-wing and how it is adversely affecting the morals and morale of our country. It's a -- Do as I say, Not as I do -- logic .


I long for the day when we again have people seeking public office who not only talk the talk but walk the walk. True leaders don't let others fight their countries battles for them.


Bring the Troops Home..!


Thank you.

Sincerely,

David M. Quintana

[ozone park, ny 11417]