Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Who's Your Daddy, Jimmy Van Bramer? by Adam Lisberg - The Daily Politics - NY Daily News

Read original...


Mayor Bloomberg signed a bill into law just now requiring the city clerk to give same-sex couples information on how to get married in jurisdictions where it's legal. Bloomberg supports same-sex marriage, and Queens Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer thanked him for signing the bill -- prompting the mayor to reminisce on how he's used his legal authority to marry couples in the five boroughs.


Van Bramer: "This is an important step forward. One day we will have marriage equality, and I don't know if you'll be performing any of those ceremonies one day."

Bloomberg: "I've said I will not perform marriage ceremonies, because once you do one you have to do lots. There's a lot of people in the city who want to get married. I ran into Matt Damon's father about two weeks ago on a golf course when I was in Martha's Vineyard with the president. And he said, you married my son. And I said no, I did not. I was a witness.
"But I have not done any marriages, with two exceptions. One was Rudy Giuliani, who wanted to get married at Gracie Mansion and made an enormous gift to the Gracie Mansion Conservancy and paid all the expenses. I thought that was a good deal for the city. And then the other one, I did in all fairness break my rules and I married my older daughter. Now the younger one isn't married yet, but if she asks me I suppose I will do that one as well. And in fact, in marrying my older daughter I had to marry her in the city, and then we had sort of a fake ceremony up in Westchester where I don't have the authority to do it.
"So I've done two weddings. Sorry."
Van Bramer: "Well, if you'd like to adopt me, Mayor Bloomberg, that might work out well. My partner might appreciate that."