Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Queens Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn Retiring: Special Election On Tap by Celeste Katz - Daily Politics | New York Daily News

Read original...

Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn, the dean of the Queens delegation who was first elected back in 1982, announced today she is retiring.
mayersohn.jpg

Our Lisa L. Colangelo reports:
"After much deliberation, I believe the time has come for me to step aside," said Mayersohn, who turns 87 in May and represents the 27th Assembly district.
Sources said she is retiring to spend more time with her family and not because of any health issues.
Mayersohn’s longtime aide, Michael Simanowitz, is being touted as the frontrunner to replace her.
During her tenure, Mayersohn authored a number of laws focused on health issues. Her “Baby AIDS” law, enacted in 1996, requires doctors to tell mothers of HIV-infected newborns about their children’s condition.
Last year, Mayersohn was sued for a car accident that took place near her Flushing home.
Voters will pick Mayersohn’s replacement in a special election. But placement on the critical ballot is chosen by the four District Leaders - Mayersohn, Simanowitz, former Councilman Morty Povman and Charlotte Scheman.
"I could never have been able to accomplish anything without my constituents," Mayersohn said in a release. "They gave me the privilege of representing their interests for 28 years. I never took their support for granted and worked very hard to ensure their continued trust. All I can say is thank you; I will never forget you."