Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rep Weiner Statement on Passage of Historic Health Care Legislation...

Representative Anthony Weiner (D – Brooklyn and Queens), a member of the Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee and Co-Chair of the Caucus on the Middle Class, released the following statement on the passage of the House health care reform bill:

"About five and half months ago I said I believed that the coming few years in Washington were deeply important, and a time when ideas could matter.”

I stated my commitment to working in Congress to take full advantage of this progressive era to pass important legislation. That decision meant I did not run for an office I have dreamed of, and one that recent events show was more open to contention than critics admitted.”

But tonight's work shows that Congress can take major steps to improve the lives of Americans. Americans deserve quality, affordable health care, and tonight's vote took them one step closer to it.”

I have been gratified in recent days by the words of Speaker Pelosi and Chairman Waxman about the positive role I have played in helping pass this significant legislation. I am proud to have been part of the strong voices in this body helping to create the strongest, and most passable bill possible.”

In response to a question I get frequently these days, I do not regret my choice to work this year in this body, to focus my energies here in Congress, because I believe we will achieve extraordinarily significant progress for New Yorkers here, and we have done so in this new health care bill."