Monday, November 8, 2010

And Another One Gone: Anthony Como Bows Out Of Senate Arena by Celeste Katz - Daily Politics Blog - NY Daily News

Read original...

On the heels of longtime GOP state Sen. Frank Padavan's formal concession of defeat to Democrat Tony Avella, another Queens Republican hopeful, Anthony Como, is doing the same.


Como, a former city councilman, was up against incumbent Democratic state Sen. Joseph Addabbo in SD-15. He jumped into the race relatively late, throwing his hat in the ring in June only after succumbing to pressure or pleas -- your choice -- to go the Senate route instead of grabbing for the brass ring of executive director of the city Board of Elections.
Here is Como's statement in full:
"It is with regret that I announce today I have officially ended my pursuit to represent the residents of the 15th State Senate district. It was important to me that every vote be properly counted and although there are remaining discrepancies with some of the machines, it is in the best interest of the community that we move forward and put politics aside.

"I spoke with Senator Addabbo this afternoon and congratulated him on his successful campaign.
"This was a hard fought race and I am proud of the campaign we ran. We raised issues of great importance to New Yorkers, like lowering taxes and creating a more attractive climate for small businesses. I am also hopeful that some of the government reforms I advocated during my campaign will become a reality. I'm enormously grateful to the thousands of New Yorkers who supported me and believed in my message to make government work again for the people. I remain committed to public service and look forward to the new challenges and opportunities that lie ahead."