Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Community Board 9 (Queens) - February 12, 2008 - Brief Presentation on Ridgewood Reservoir & REPP's Efforts

On the cold stormy evening of February 12, I attended the (Queens) Community Board 9 meeting held at The Fairfield Pavilion (133-10 101stAvenue, Richmond Hill NY 11419).

Due to the weather the Board was unable to achieve a quorum of it's member and all normal business was tabled until a quorum could be achieved at a future emergency meeting, to be scheduled soon.


The snow was coming down as I left my house...

The meeting location was a beautiful place to conduct the Board meeting and they provided a well stocked buffet table of food for the participants. Even though I had already had eaten my dinner prior to arriving at the meeting, I felt compelled to try their Halal Chicken with Green Peas, it looked so tempting I couldn't refuse.


If the truth be known, had I not dragged myself away from the buffet table I could've eaten the whole tray of chicken. As it was, I probably ate six or seven pieces. It was very tasty, juicy and most delicious.


The chairperson, Andrea Crawford, with consent of other board members chose to have the scheduled speakers give their presentations.


Personnel from ENSAR (David Austin) and End Zone (Ted Coyle) gave a presentation on the clean-up of the former Ozone Industries site. To my knowledge, this clean-up has been delayed by at least 12 years. They gave a preliminary proposal for the well-overdue environmental clean-up.


David Austin - ENSAR - giving his presentation on the Ozone Industries cleanup


During the public hearing, I had asked for and was granted a three minute window available for public comment. I was able to give a short presentation on the work to date of the Ridgewood Reservoir Education and Preservation Project's and our efforts to save the reservoir from destruction by the NYC Parks & Recreation Department.


Mr. Austin and Ted Coyle - End Zone

I directed the Board to visit the group's website and my web site for further information on the REPP and the Park Department's work and public statements.


Chairperson Crawford stated during my presentation that this was “Great stuff, David!”. It should be noted that Ms. Crawford is a self-professed environmentalist.


I started by giving a very brief history of the Brooklyn Water Works and the Ridgewood Reservoir.


I then went over REPP's desired outcomes for both the Ridgewood Reservoir and Highland Park, in general. I also invited board members to future tours of the site conducted by the REPP.


Mr. Coyle and Mr. Austin

Furthermore, I asked for their support as individuals and as a Board for the ongoing efforts to save all three basins from destruction by the New York City Parks & Recreation Dept and for their advocacy on our behalf.


Upon the conclusion of my briefing, Ms. Crawford asked if I could schedule a full presentation at a future board meeting with her and her full complement of Board members. She was enthusiastic to view the DVD and read any handouts that we could provide to her and her Board. She also informed me that they have a laptop and a projector available for our use. I informed her that I would keep in contact with her to see that her request is fulfilled.


I stressed to the board how the reservoir is part of the same corridor as Forest Park and ties in well with their ongoing efforts to convert the dilapidated railroad track bed from the former LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch to bicycle paths and a natural green way - Rockaway Beach Branch Greenway Committee.


After the meeting I got a chance to speak to both the Chairperson and Ivan Mrakovcic, 1st Vice Chairman, who both expressed their encouragement for the REPP's work and for our efforts to date.