Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Statement from Council Member Crowley on St Johns Closing and Health Care in Queens

March 2, 2009; Queens, NY – Council Member Elizabeth Crowley released this statement:

"To my great sadness, I was among the crowd of former St. John’s employees at the midnight Vigil on Saturday for the closing of the hospital," said Council Member Elizabeth Crowley.

"I heard their fears and I share their outrage that Governor Paterson and the Department of Health could not allocate the necessary funds to keep this hospital open. The consequences of its closure are devastating: thousands of people are out of work during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression; local businesses will take a tremendous hit; and access to health care for Queen’s residents has become an even greater challenge. While I continue to support the staff and their families through city agencies, I will pressure Governor Paterson to find a solution that meets the needs of the people of Queens."