Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Term-Limits Question for Councilmen Seeking Higher Office by Azi Paybarah | The New York Observer

Read original...

The proposed change to the city’s term limit law may “sail” through the City Council, but it poses a complication for City Council members who are currently campaigning for higher office.

If they support the change, they risk, at least theoretically, angering voters they’ll be facing very soon—and raising questions about their real level of interest the new offices they're running for.

Democrat Mike McMahon, who is running a strong campaign for the congressional seat covering Staten Island and Brooklyn, basically dismissed my question as ridiculous. He was standing on the City Hall steps just now and handed me his cell phone so I could talk to his spokeswoman, who said she’ll get back to me with a more quotable answer.

Democrat Joe Addabbo, who is campaigning in a hotly contested race for State Senate in Queens, emailed me a statement that didn’t rule out a run for his Council seat.

"I have always and continue to support a public referendum on term limits. My focus is on winning in November to become the next state senator from the 15th senate district. We have a lot of work to do at the state level where I'll fight for New York City's fair share of education aid, work to lower the cost of health care, and get Albany back to work for middle class people," Addabbo said.

Democrat Hiram Monserrate won the Democratic primary for a State Senate seat in Jackson Heights, but now, basically, can chose whether or not he wants a long commute for a lower paying job. I emailed him and his chief of staff and will update with an answer.

I’m also waiting to hear back from Democrat Jim Gennaro, who is running in a tough race for State Senate in Queens.

UPDATE: In a public statement, Gennaro said, "The issue of extending term limits has gone to the people twice through public referendum, and any revisiting of the issue should go back to the people. If brought before the Council, I would go with the will of the people and vote no."