It was time to try show business.

"After you fail at everything," she says, "you have nothing to lose."

Lauper and that aforementioned best friend formed a folk duo, and played their first gig for a hootenanny at Manhattan's old Gaslight Club. Next the team was hired by a cafe in Rego Park, Queens, which had no microphone.

"The guy said to me, 'Listen, girlie, we got acoustic tiles. Just aim your voice up there!' " Lauper recalls.

They were fired, she adds, when their friends in the audience heckled the comedians on the bill.

"That guy never even paid us," Lauper says. "The little rat!"

Oddly, most of the time Lauper's singing voice bears little trace of her trademark Noo Yawk squawk.

"Thank God," she exclaims. "Can you imagine? I have no idea why. When I sing, I just go into a trance."

Her husband isn't from the neighborhood, though: Not only was he born in Colorado, but also he's the son of a Harvard professor of English. He has been known to tease Lauper about her accent and her nonstandard grammar.

"Sometimes I'll say 'ain't' and 'no nevermind,' " she says. "David laughs, but he worries that Declan will."

Such linguistic lapses undoubtedly drew winces from her late father-in-law, Robert Donald Thornton, an international authority on the Scottish poet Robert Burns.

"When David and I got married," she says with a hearty chuckle, "I said, 'Dad, don't feel bad. You're not losing a son - you're gaining someone who don't talk so good!' "

It hasn't all been laughs for Lauper, though. Five years after her breakthrough, with her album sales plummeting and concert tickets not selling, she seemed to be on the verge of being washed up, a novelty act who had outlived her 15 minutes. It took a decade of hard work to rebuild her career.

"It was a difficult time for me," the singer says. "I needed to take a break. Sony (her record label then and now) wasn't the same as it used to be, and I wasn't into it. All of a sudden, it wasn't on my terms. I didn't want the hamster wheel. I saw radio change. I was trying to please everybody, and the only person I should have been pleasing was myself.

"I should have said, 'That's it!' " she says. "But I didn't know how."

Since then she has figured it out, and now has parenthood to inspire her to broaden her focus to include gay rights and other causes about which she feels strongly.

"What kind of world is my kid going to grow up in?" Lauper asks. "Still the same old (nonsense)? People have to get off their high horses and start stepping up for those who are beaten down."