Monday, June 9, 2008

US Congressional Representative Nydia Velazquez Supports Hillary Clinton for Vice President to Ensure Party Unity






Representative Nydia Velazquez says Hillary's 20 years of experience complements Obama...That Hispanics connect with Hillary as family and that Hillary would significantly strengthen the national ticket...



Representative Velazquez goes on to talk about Hillary's call to the New York Congressional delegation...Hillary was gracious and thanked them for all the hard work on her behalf and for helping to energize millions of voters...



Nydia says that Hillary won by overwhelming margins in the Hispanic community from the start of the primaries until the end...When asked about Bill Richardson's support among Hispanics she cites how his numbers went down when he endorsed Obama and how Hillary's numbers continued to grow...

Videos from NY Daily News Political blog - Flickr set...

Congresswoman Nydia M. Velázquez (D-NY) speaks out in support of Hillary Clinton and in celebration of Women's History Month.

I grew up in a very modest home near Puerto Rico's Rio Limon. My family didn't have much, but I had a great role model - my mother. To make ends meet she sold pasteles, a traditional Puerto Rican food, to the workers in the sugar cane fields. It was difficult work considering she was also raising nine children, but she never complained. Because of her tireless efforts, I was able to get a good education and go on to be the first Puerto Rican woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.

Today, I serve the residents of Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan's Lower East Side with the same humility, resolve and unwavering sense of commitment that I learned from my mother. In fact, those qualities define my work as a public official, and they are the lens through which I judge our Presidential candidates.

That is exactly why I support Hillary. She is an experienced leader who is committed to working on our behalf. She has the ability to show every American that there are no constraints strong enough to keep us from achieving our dreams. And, just as importantly, she understands that our history is written in the selfless actions of people like my mother. As we celebrate Women's History Month, we should remember those facts, and use the lessons we have learned to make the best choice in this election.