Monday, June 9, 2008

Slain Cop 'A Batterer' by Ikimulisa Livingston - New York Post

Read original...

A Queens mom arraigned yesterday on murder and weapons charges said she gunned down her retired-cop husband for "beating her all the time," prosecutors charge.

"I used both guns" to shoot him, Barbara Sheehan allegedly told a cop who responded to the couple's Howard Beach home Feb. 18.

"I got the other one from the bedroom," Sheehan said, according to prosecutors. "I shot him until he fell."

Sheehan, who is free on $1 million bond, is charged with killing Raymond Sheehan, 49, a retired NYPD sergeant.

Prosecutor Teri Ann Puliafico told Judge Arthur Cooperman that Sheehan accused her husband of "beating her all the time."

"I couldn't take it any more," Sheehan told prosecutors. "He was in the bathroom. I ran into the bedroom and grabbed the gun. I went into the bathroom. He said, 'Try and shoot me,' and I shot him."

The 47-year-old school secretary fired her husband's .38-caliber revolver and 9 mm Glock.

Lawyer Michael Dowd said he would offer a battered women's defense because "he was attempting to kill her," he said.