Monday, October 26, 2009

The Wild Side of Jamaica Avenue in Woodhaven...

Last week, as I was waiting outside for the Woodhaven Residents Block Association meeting to begin at the Woodhaven-Richmond Hill Volunteer Ambulance Corps (78-15 Jamaica Ave), out of the corner of my eye I noticed the rear-end of a large animal with a long hairless tail scramble down the grating in front of the building.


My immediate reaction was that it was a huge sewer rat, so I went over to the grating and pointed my camera into the hole to see if I could get photo of the creature.


I kept my camera at the ready while I smoked another cigarette, and much to my surprise up through the grating came a timid, docile looking opossum. He stood there long enough to let me take a couple of photos and then down the hole he went again.