Tuesday, July 3, 2007

NY Daily News: 10 Questions for Helen Marshall - Queens Borough President Chats About Life,Work and Fav Lunch Spots by Melissa Grace...

Photo by Dee Richard

Helen Marshall has served as Queens Borough President since 2002, when she ran and won election to the borough's top executive job.

Marshall, elected to a second term in 2005, is the first African-American and the second woman to hold the post.

Prior to being elected borough president, Marshall, 77, served on the New York City Council from 1992 to 2002 representing the 21st District, which includes Corona, East Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Elmhurst.

Before that, she served for five terms in the New York State Assembly representing Queens.

Marshall has said her top priorities include making Queens a tourist hot spot. Throughout her political career, she has focused on education, housing and environmental protection. She was co-chairwoman of the City Council's Black and Latino Caucus.

Before launching a career in politics, Marshall worked as a teacher and a librarian.

Queens News spoke with Marshall recently about her life, work and family, including her two children, Donald Jr. and Agnes Marie, and her grandchildren.


1
DN: Where were you born?

HM: I was born in Manhattan but we lived in Harlem.

2 DN: What was the most important part of your education?

HM: It was Morris High School that set me on the right track. I really came into my own there and gained a lot of confidence. My home story wasn't always the best. (Marshall's mother died when she was 3; her father died when she was 16.)

3 DN: When did you decide on a career in politics?

HM: It was in 1972, after the 1968 convention in Chicago. The Democrats were looking for grass-roots activists and Edward Sadowsky [the former City Councilman] suggested I be a delegate to the national convention [in 1972].

4 DN: What is your favorite spot in your borough?

HM: I love the waterfront. I live not too far from it, in East Elmhurst.

5 DN: What is your favorite place for breakfast?

HM: My favorite place for breakfast is my kitchen.

6 DN: And lunch and dinner?

HM: If I had to pick a favorite lunch spot it would be Daisy's. It's a classy, continental restaurant in Sunnyside. Lillian, who owns the place, is a mother who built the business with her children, and the food is delicious. For dinner, my most favorite places are Parkside [Restaurant] and the Buccaneer [Diner].

7 DN: What is the biggest issue facing the borough?

HM: Right now, it's the hospital situation, especially with the state talking about closing certain facilities. We have a shortage of [hospital] beds in Queens. We have two airports and we don't have a burn facility [to treat people with severe burn injuries].


8
DN: What do you want to achieve as borough president?

HM: My goal is to leave the borough as strong as I can.

9 DN: What was your proudest moment serving as borough president?

HM: When I was sworn in the second time.

10DN: What would you like to be able to say about your time as borough president after you leave office?

HM: I'd like to be able to say I built more parks, took care of getting school seats for our children.

Melissa Grace