Tuesday, July 17, 2007

NY Post: Sex-Rap Pol: 'I'll Be Vindicated' by Frankie Edozien...

Read original...

July 17, 2007 -- In his first public comments about the allegations of a sexual assault made against him by a 52-year-old grandmother, Queens Councilman Dennis Gallagher proclaimed his innocence yesterday.

"Unfortunately, under the advice of counsel, I am unable to discuss the false allegations made against me," the Republican lawmaker said.

"I will say that I am fully confident that the truth will be heard and I will be vindicated."

His statement was released through his lawyer, Stephen Mahler.

In two interviews with The Post, his alleged victim, a grandmother of two, said the 43-year-old councilman approached her in a Middle Village watering hole and sexually attacked her after driving her to his office.

She said prosecutors have told her not to disclose the details. Gallagher, who has been a councilman since 2002, added: "I just hope the public doesn't rush to judgment before all the facts are heard."

No charges have been filed as the evidence is being reviewed by a grand jury.