Monday, July 9, 2007

NY1: Klein: Supreme Court Ruling On Integration Won't Affect NYC Schools...

View video report...

City education officials say Thursday’s landmark Supreme Court ruling on racial integration at public schools will not affect New York.

The Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 to kill specific plans for integration in Seattle and Louisville, Kentucky.

In explaining his deciding vote, Justice Anthony Kennedy said there were other ways to achieve diversity in schools besides race.

Here in the city, Schools Cancellor Joel Klein says the ruling won't make much of a difference.

"This decision will have very little effect on New York City,” said Klein. “New York City, basically its high school system is a choice system. We have, as I said, I think a couple of school that are under what I called court orders that I think are from a different era and are no longer necessary. I suspect after the decision today we will be able to take appropriate action. I don't want to get ahead of the lawyers – that's what they are looking at now."

Critics of the Supreme Court decision have said the ruling has turned back the clock to the days of segregation.